[fomus-devel] One more post...

David Psenicka dpsenick at cox.net
Wed Sep 9 05:00:23 UTC 2009

I'm posting to this list one more time to announce FOMUS is just about ported (or actually rewritten) to C++...  It should be a huge improvement over the old Lisp version...  It's a lot faster, doesn't use ungodly amounts of memory, has a proper interface for extending functionality, and can be loaded into any software or language that can interface with a C library.  It's also integrated into the CM/Grace environment, plus I have Lisp wrappers and an Pd external now.  As I finish it up I'll be adding a lot of examples and tutorials.  Here are some of the improvements:

faster
native input file format
built-in docs and search for settings and marks
behavior can be modified in different places (settings can go into parts, measures, individual notes, etc.)
buffered input for environments like Max/Pd
same capabilities as the old Lisp version (I'd say I'm maybe 90% to where I was at feature-wise w/ the old Lisp version)

I still have quite a few bugs to fix and minor features to finish up (e.g., special notations like tremolos, harmonics, etc.).  Right now it works in Linux and OS X, and Windows (both Cygwin and freshly ported native binaries--the native build will be flaky for at least another week).  Current version is 0.1.7-alpha...  I anticipate taking maybe another month or two to squash bugs and build up a large collection of examples, then I'll release a beta version.

Sourceforge page is at https://sourceforge.net/projects/fomus/
Online docs are at http://fomus.sourceforge.net/
Mailing list is at
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fomus-user