[fomus-devel] n-tuplets

andersvi at extern.uio.no andersvi at extern.uio.no
Mon Apr 9 10:36:16 UTC 2007

    D> Many of these settings use a "beat" as a measurement, so
    D> changing the beat value to 1/8 can drastically alter the
    D> output--Also, the :max-tuplet-dur and :min-tuplet-dur settings
    D> do seem to get in the way often (these settings and related
    D> ones have come quite up a few times)--on my TODO list now is to
    D> find ways to replace some of the ones that impose hard limits
    D> with more flexible + intuitive settings (any suggestions are
    D> welcome!).

Suggestions might come when i get more into this tool, but isn't
(fomus ... (list (fomus ...) (fomus ...))) a start towards this?

"Intuitive settings" - sounds like 'musical' concepts: eighth,
sixteenth, triplet-sixteenth etc, no?

If the above structure allows for local settings of such parameters
(and adding local offset-times inside!) it would mimick cmn's
'section, which is a very convenient level to work with.

(fomus
  :global-settings '(...)
  (fomus :off 0 :local-settings '(...) (load "A.fms"))
  (fomus :off 8 :local-settings '(...)
         :events (generate-random-events :dur 12))
         :output-file "B-overlap.fms")
  (fomus :off 15 :local-settings '(...) (load "C.fms")))

How could the voice-leading algorithms handle abutted sections like
this?

    D> I'm about halfway through implementing a "preferred-tuplet-dur"
    D> setting at the moment, but am thinking now that a "preferred
    D> duration" shouldn't be tied to beat values but change
    D> dynamically with the context (meter, rhythm, etc.)...  A few
    D> other settings (and internal variables) rely on beat values
    D> which I think should be changed eventually.

I find more often than not i use measures as a container which spans a
certain place in time, not necessarily with any 'metric significance
as such, especially when multiple rhythmic voices/layers are running
alongside each other.  All choices fomus makes towards musical logic
are very useful as long as they can be overridden or made explicit at
the local level (= note).

Which classes to start to look at to make a 'measure class?

-anders