[flexi-streams-devel] Re: note on flexi-streams

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Tue Jun 13 22:12:54 UTC 2006

I think you're basically right and what happens is this:

  CL-USER> (defclass foo (excl::fundamental-character-stream)
                ((bar :initarg :external-format
                      :initform (error "No external format."))))
  #<STANDARD-CLASS FOO>
  CL-USER> (make-instance 'foo)
  #<FOO @ #x2122c9aa>
  CL-USER> (slot-value * 'bar)
  :DEFAULT

So, it looks like there's some :AROUND method within AllegroCL which
modifies the initargs before the FOO instance is initialized.  I
couldn't find a place in their documentation where they explicitely
talk about the :EXTERNAL-FORMAT initarg, and I'm hesitant to rename it
in FLEXI-STREAMS because it is the right name, isn't it?

At least, before I do that, it'd be nice if you could ask Franz about
their take.

Cheers,
Edi.