[fetter-devel] vectors

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 12:15:53 UTC 2008

> I've generated some bindings for a c++ library which makes copious use of
> vectors. This results in lots of commas in the bindings file, which Lisp
> complains about, naturally ('comma is illegal outside of backquote'). Is
> there any way to deal with this? Does CFFI not cater for vectors?

c++ is such a big kludge that we (me and Levente) almost reached the
conclusion that supporting c++ is hopeless and pointless... the new
branch at http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=fetter-verrazano.flexml;a=summary
contains code that deals with such things by skipping templated stuff
for now. but if you need STL vectors then it won't help much i guess.

all in all, a lot is missing for being able to generate useful c++
bindings. first there should be a compiler plugin architecture that
abstracts away vtables and name mangling. and then a lot more is
missing to handle the numerous other details.

we may spend a few more days trying to make it work, but i don't
promise anything...

--
 attila