[fetter-devel] OpenGL on Windows

Rayiner Hashem rayiner at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 09:37:56 UTC 2005

Well, VZN CVS (as of my last commit friday afternoon) handles OpenGL on
Windows just fine. opengl-library is generated without problems, and loads
in Allegro without problems. Unfortunately, I had to modify gl.h (slightly)
to get it working. The gl.h/glu.h that comes with VC.NET
<http://VC.NET>2005 is actually kind of broken, since it uses
definitions declared in
windows.h (APIENTRY WINGDIAPI CALLBACK), but doesn't actually include
windows.h. Including windows.h in one of these files results in a GCC-XML
output file so large, that VZN can't even load it before hitting the heap
limit on Allegro 7.0 Trial. The pruning pass was supposed to circumvent this
limitation, by pruning the XML tree before conversion to IR (when memory
usage really blows up), but the pruning pass doesn't even get to run before
VZN runs out of memory. Well, so much for that theory. In any case, if
anybody is attempting to run a header that includes windows.h, I'd
appreciate it if they could tell me whether it works or not. For OpenGL
specifically, if including windows.h doesn't work, then just #define'ing
APIENTRY WINGDIAPI and CALLBACK as empty space should get the OpenGL binding
generated. You can even do this without modifying the header files, by
adding "-DAPIENTRY -DWINGDIAPI -DCALLBACK" to the 'flags' field of the input
file.

Sincerely,
Rayiner Hashem