[fetter-devel] Status update for October 18

Rayiner Hashem rayiner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 06:46:55 UTC 2005

Hmm, the mailing list has been a little quiet lately, so for those
curious about what's going on, here's a status update. Current
development now is focused on a new framework for compiler-specific
code. After familiarizing myself with the Visual C++ ABI, and
comparing it to G++'s, I realized two things:

1) There are large similarities between the two that can lead to a lot
of code-sharing;
2) The current code is in no shape to support either ABI completely,
let alone both.

Hence the need for the new framework, which basically amounts to a
rewrite of Vzn's C++ support (the C support shouldn't be changed
significantly, however). A lot of structural work that was necessary
to implement this framework (specifically, isolating the frontend from
the backend, isolating compiler-specific support, refactoring the CFFI
backend) is done in my working copy. I can't put these into CVS until
the new C++ code is done (it massively breaks the existing
simplifier), so don't get worried that there hasn't been a CVS commit
a couple of weeks :)

Sincerely,
    Rayiner Hashem