[fetter-devel] Possible solution for multiple includes

Rayiner Hashem rayiner at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 21:32:56 UTC 2005

> Well, partly because I have still not understood how VZN can find all
> dependent bindings and only those that are needed by the one lib I
> want to use.

Oh, one thing I forgot to put in my original post. Vzn doesn't figure
out the dependencies of each definition itself. Since the GCC-XML
output is a dump of the GCC IR, dependencies between nodes have
already been resolved and are explicit in the XML output. Consider a
header like:

#include <windows.h>

BOOL DoSomething(LPCSTR fname);

In the GCC-XML output, there would be several nodes, each with a
unique ID and a marker identifying what file it is in. There would be,
for example, a Typedef node for BOOL and a typedef node for LPCSTR, as
well as a Function node for DoSomething. The DoSomething node will
explicitly refer to the IDs of the BOOL and LPCSTR nodes. Therefore,
when Vzn encounters the DoSomething node, and realizes it needs to
emit definitions for BOOL or LPCSTR, Vzn knows exactly which
definitions of BOOL and LPCSTR to use, and where to find them.