[fetter-devel] Possible solution for multiple includes

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Sun Oct 9 21:04:08 UTC 2005

Frank Goenninger - PRION Consulting wrote:

> No, I do *not* want to have an all-in-one big file solution! I like
> VZN to generate the stdlib-library.lisp automatically because I said
> I want Freeglut and Freeglut depends on it.

No, Freeglut.c (if you will) depends on stdlib.lib.
Freeglut-library.lisp does not need anything in some stdlib.lisp,
because of what I see Rayiner explained in another post: vzn navigates
through everything to resolve typedefs.

> Well, partly because I have still not understood how VZN can find all
> dependent bindings and only those that are needed by the one lib I
> want to use.

VZN can do it because gccxml itself does the C thing and resolves
everything. VZN then distills out just those things needed to generate
the bindings.

> I still have that lib in my head that relies on 100  other libs where
> one particular type definition is specified in the  100th include file
> on the 20th include level. Reading VZN's code in  detail certainly
> would help here but I have to admit I haven't done  this yet. So, I
> beg pardon for being so stubborn or ignorant here.

No, we were just so far apart that it took a few iterations to get clear
the point of confusion. I myself have not looked at Rayiner's code
except to massage the run-command stuff to get error output so I can
debug failures to generate XML. I recommend the design documents linked
from the Fetter home page as a more approachable read.

kt