[fetter-devel] ECL

Luis Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 02:42:12 UTC 2005

On 29/jun/2005, at 18:35, Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll wrote:
> my understanding is that this mailing list is devoted to both the FFI
> autogenerator "Fetter" and the "Hello-C" FFI.

Yes. :-)

I just read your post on cll about Hello-C and UFFI vs. CFFI. You
mention UFFI has more features than CFFI and that is true. I would like
to mention, though, that the CFFI approach is very different from that
of UFFI.

UFFI tries to normalize/wrap/etc the FFI's of the various lisps. CFFI
on the other hand requests a few low-level operators from the lisp and
implements (or will implement) a FFI on top of that, bypassing the
lisp's FFI. For example, on SBCL CFFI doesn't use sb-alien, it uses
system-area-pointer's directly. I like this approach.

I'm of course very interested in your views regarding the CFFI approach
vs. UFFI approach and FFI's in general.

--
Luís Oliveira
http://student.dei.uc.pt/~lmoliv/