[eurolisp] Re: More parallel/concurrent stuff

Dirk Gerrits dirk at dirkgerrits.com
Tue Oct 19 20:06:53 UTC 2004

mario.mommer at gmx.net (Mario S. Mommer) writes:

> Dirk Gerrits <dirk at dirkgerrits.com> writes:
>> mario.mommer at gmx.net (Mario S. Mommer) writes:
>>> Look at what I found here:
>>>
>>> http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce.html
>>
>> At first glance this looks somewhat similar to Connection Machine Lisp,
>> but at a larger scale.
>
> Aha... *lisp, you mean?

I mean this paper:
http://fresh.homeunix.net/~luke/misc/ConnectionMachineLisp.pdf
I don't remember it mentioning the term *Lisp...

> This one seems to me particularily interesting, among other things
> because it is actually in use. If I understand it correctly, these
> folks (at google) are using one absolutely monstruous cluster of
> comodity boxes with this.

That, they do. :)

> Also, AFAICT, this is very close to the example given in the NetCLOS
> paper (longer version).

I haven't gotten around to reading that yet.

> This is all very interesting for me.

Same here.

I'll update my references page with "MapReduce: Simplified Data
Processing on Large Clusters", "Connection Machine Lisp: Fine-Grained
Parallel Symbolic Processing", "Making Asynchronous Parallelism Safe for
the World", and "Naming and Synchronization in a Decentralized Computer
System".  Should be up this evening, but Google if you can't wait. ;)

Kind regards,

Dirk Gerrits