[erlang-in-lisp-devel] Hi, I'm here to help

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 12:15:40 UTC 2008

Hi, Matt, Wesley.

Matt: congratulations for your work so far. I think that we should
really have a weekly or bi-weekly discussion by phone/instant
messenger followed by a progress report.

Matt: what do you think is the next step?

As for me, next steps to do would include:
* (hard, important) integration with the iolib event loop -- this
involves teaching the event loop about the many (one to start with)
input (and output) ports that may be open, but also signals and
process-termination events (if available) so that these things may be
monitored in the event loop.
* (hard, important) add some mechanism to handle process links
* (not too hard, not urgent) a portable run-program implementation
that shares E-i-L's process management facility, and could be used to
spawn remote processes, etc.
* (easy, not urgent) better data-structures for pid's (say, a
hash-table to begin with) -- Wesley, maybe you can do that as a
starter?

Matt: as for the spawning, I'm thinking of a syntax more like
(spawn-process function &key name arguments link initial-bindings ...)
allowing for keyword arguments make it easier to add new features in a
compatible way. Here for instance, link would specify whether we use
the equivalent of Erlang's spawn or spawn_link, and initial-bindings
would be used in a progv in the child process.
Be sure to signal an error if an unimplemented feature is used!

Laziness is mother of Intelligence. Father unknown. [Rumor has it it's Greed.]
                -- Faré