[elephant-devel] upgrade from 0.9 to 1.0

Plamen . plamen.usenet at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 19:41:16 UTC 2010

Hello Frank,

Ian and Elliott Slaughter helped me already to at least can compile
some time ago under Windows/Cygwin the BDB 4.7, but we stuck in other
problems. I have LW 6, so - if I can help in any way to test - please
let me know - just my C/C++ knowledge is pretty dusty and I got stuck
in a couple of situations which I can't resolve so quickly as I would
wish.

>From what I did until yet - there is actually no problem with the
Elephant/Lisp source for running BDB under LWW 5 and 6, but only
compilation problems of the libberkeley-db.c - compiling it under
Cygwin (1.5) has the prolem, that ssize_t is declared differently in
BDB and Cygwin/GCC which even after successsful compilation brings
problems with pointer alignment if I understand the problem correctly.
I couldn't manage to solve the problem enought quick. Compiling
elephant under VC++ 2008 brings te problem (except the whole cration
of a valid Win32-DLL project aroound it and moving a lot of
declarations around to can work with VC++ 2008) that "errno" used as
parameter in some of the libberkley-db.c functions should be renamed
to something which doesn't clash with the "errno"-POSIX-macro -
otherwise one sees a disassembly of a statement like "*errno = 13"
translated to "call [_errno]" in assembler in producing "Illegal
memory exception"s... After correcting that (with the help of the LW
team) I got some "Bad pointer" errors from BDB after having created a
BDB-database, for which I didn't had enoght time - curently I use
cl-prevalence as a interim solution until BDB works again under
Windows.

So - again - if I can help (with preferrably the Lisp part and LWW6)
somehow after one manages to compile the libberkeley-db.c in a correct
way - please let me know - I would be happy to can use Elephant again.

Regards
Plamen