[elephant-devel] bdb licensing text from section 9.4

quasi quasilists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 21:01:02 UTC 2010

Hey guys,

Thanks for Elephant. I am just starting to use it.  I have a question
regarding the following :

Section "9.4 Data Store Licensing Considerations" from the manual
states the following

"... In most interpretations of the license, this includes a
requirement to make code available for the entirety of any publicly
visible website that is based on Berkeley DB."

This was rather disturbing (to me) so I read the license documentation
from the oracle site and it is quite ambiguous about above stated
point. A little bit more googleling and I found an interview with
Sleepycat President and CEO, Michael Olson from 2001 here :
http://www.winterspeak.com/columns/102901.html

I quote him "Building a Web service on top of Berkeley DB and making
it available via HTTP doesn't require payment or release of code."

Is Oracle is still using the Sleepycat licence or have they changed it
?  I was planning to build a website with a berkeley db backend using
Elephant. Is this not recommended due to licensing issues ? This would
be a commercial website and I would not want to release the code.

I am unclear and would appreciate any suggestions regarding this.

thanks,
Abhijit Rao (quasi)