[elephant-devel] BDB stores don't work on my 32-bit Debian box either

Leslie P. Polzer sky at viridian-project.de
Fri Nov 13 19:17:18 UTC 2009

Sebastian Tennant wrote:

> I thought CFFI emulated (or improved upon) UFFI somehow, not the other way
> around.  [To be honest, I don't know the first thing about all this].

CFFI is younger than UFFI and works in a different way. They provide an
incomplete UFFI compatibility layer, though.

>  "Patches for CFFI and, most importantly, clbuild are very much welcome. :-)"
>
> The first thing I thought when I read this was:
>
>  "Isn't Luís the author of CFFI?"

He's one of the primary developers I think. But that doesn't mean that
he's able or willing to do this work. Remember this is open source so
people often need to provide ready-to-commit patches to get their stuff in.

> Anyway, it seems pretty clear to me that a coordinated joint effort is really
> what's called for, involving at least one person from each interested party;
> cffi, uffi, elephant, clbuild, and more.

Why wouldn't one person be enough, provided they understand the matter well
enough?

> Yes, I'm afraid I am.  The first time I try to call 'open-store', which cause
> sbcl to hang, it is in the middle of doing some further compilation that begins
> when the call to 'open-store' is evaluated.

No I think this particular compilation has already been completed at this point.

> The second time I try to call
> 'open-store' I get the truncated file error.  I've no doubt the file is
> trunctaed because of the previous hang, i.e., the hang is the real error.

Not sure about that. We need a backtrace, and please show us your
bdb-constants.lisp.

> Presumably I'll need a common-lisp.net account in order to edit the HTML
> source?  Shall I write and request one?

Yes. Request a plain account without any group access and get the files
from /project/elephant/public_html. Then make the changes and send a patch.

  Thanks!

    Leslie

--
http://www.linkedin.com/in/polzer