[elephant-devel] BDB stores don't work on my 32-bit Debian box either

Leslie P. Polzer sky at viridian-project.de
Thu Nov 12 18:36:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 05:31:35PM +0000, Sebastian Tennant wrote:
> For the last time:
>
>  Debian Lenny, i386 32-bit
>  SBCL 1.0.32.14
>  elephant-1.0 from darcs
>  BDB 4.7
>  All other dependencies up-to-date as far as clbuild is concerned.
>
> Would an elephant developer please help.  (I'm assuming you're not a developer
> Leslie). I really want to start actually using elephant!!!.

I guess you could say there are two somewhat active Elephant developers
right now, and I'm one of them.

> I'm starting to wonder if many people really use elephant,

Ian and me are using it every day in GNU/Linux environments..

> and whether any elephant developers actually read this list?
>
> In short, I'm starting to become pretty disillusioned with elephant in
> particular and the state of Common Lisp libraries generally.

I'm sorry to hear this, and I can't really agree. It's true that
sometimes stuff doesn't work out of the box, but that's the case
everywhere unless the project is *very* well-staffed and used
by a large number of people at the same time.

> Is it because I'm using bleeding edge versions of everything I wonder?

Please, be patient. This is unpaid support and from what I've gathered
so far your questions on this and other lists have all been answered
within a few days maximum.

People's systems can differ vastly (e.g. libraries, bus width, Lisp
implementation) and not all of these issues can be figured out
immediately, no matter how competent the person at the other end is.

  Leslie