[elephant-devel] BDB stores don't work on my 32-bit Debian box either

Sebastian Tennant sebyte at smolny.plus.com
Thu Nov 12 17:31:35 UTC 2009

Quoth Sebastian Tennant <sebyte at smolny.plus.com>:
>  Store controller init function not registered for data store BDB.
>   [Condition of type SIMPLE-ERROR]

Scratch the above error - I can no longer reproduce it myself since deciding to
delete all relevant fasl files, and starting from scratch.

 CL-USER> (defconstant +store+ '(:BDB "/home/sebyte/lisp/cl/my/store/"))
 +STORE+
 CL-USER> (elephant:open-store +store+)
 [...]
 Attempting to load libmemutil.so...
 Loaded /home/sebyte/lisp/cl/clbuild/source/elephant/src/memutil/libmemutil.so

 ; compiling file
   "/home/sebyte/lisp/cl/clbuild/source/elephant/src/db-bdb/package.lisp"
   (written 11 NOV 2009 09:51:21 PM):
 ; compiling (IN-PACKAGE :CL-USER)
 ; compiling (DEFPACKAGE SLEEPYCAT ...)
 ; compiling (DEFPACKAGE DB-BDB ...)

 ; /home/sebyte/lisp/cl/clbuild/source/elephant/src/db-bdb/package.fasl written
 ; compilation finished in 0:00:00.064

At this point sbcl hangs.

If don't bother to remove all the fasls again, restart lisp and reload elephant
I get an actual error that's handled by sldb (rather than a hang):

 CL-USER> (defconstant +store+ '(:BDB "/home/sebyte/lisp/cl/my/store/"))
 +STORE+
 CL-USER> (elephant:open-store +store+)
 [...]
 Attempting to load libmemutil.so...
 Loaded /home/sebyte/lisp/cl/clbuild/source/elephant/src/memutil/libmemutil.so
 Attempting to load libberkeley-db.so...
 Loaded
 ;     /home/sebyte/lisp/cl/clbuild/source/elephant/src/db-bdb/libberkeley-db.so

 end of file on #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file
  /home/sebyte/lisp/cl/clbuild/source/elephant/src/db-bdb/berkeley-constants" {BB13669}>
    [Condition of type END-OF-FILE]                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If I repeat it a thrid time I get the same error, so there's definitely a
problem with berkeley-constants.

For the last time:

 Debian Lenny, i386 32-bit
 SBCL 1.0.32.14
 elephant-1.0 from darcs
 BDB 4.7
 All other dependencies up-to-date as far as clbuild is concerned.

Would an elephant developer please help.  (I'm assuming you're not a developer
Leslie). I really want to start actually using elephant!!!.

I'm starting to wonder if many people really use elephant, and whether any
elephant developers actually read this list?

In short, I'm starting to become pretty disillusioned with elephant in
particular and the state of Common Lisp libraries generally.

Is it because I'm using bleeding edge versions of everything I wonder?

Seb
--
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.