[elephant-devel] libmemutil.so isn't being built on my system

Jeff Cunningham j.k.cunningham at comcast.net
Sat Aug 22 14:38:47 UTC 2009

Henrik Hjelte wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Jeff
> Cunningham<j.k.cunningham at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Henrik. That was exactly my problem.
>>
>> So, before I contact the CFFI developers and ask them to fix this annoying
>> case of identity theft, do you know if anyone has already done so?
>>

> I think that someone contacted the clbuild maintainers, but I don't
> think someone has complained to the cffi developers which I think
> would be the right thing to do. It would be one thing if cffi-compat
> could compile elephant, but until that time this problem steals a lot
> of time for people, you are not the first victim.
>
> /Henrik

I'm working on them, but I could use some help. Hans Hubner weighed in
on my side, but mostly they want go this route:

Elephant breaks UFFI's abstractions and assumes SB-ALIEN is being used
behind the scenes. That naturally breaks with cffi-uffi-compat.

They want you to either fix this, or better yet, convert over entirely
to CFFI.

It seems clear to me that whether they are right or wrong, you ought to
be able to expect that another package not break your package via the
ASDF system, when yours has no dependency on theirs.

This is a basic Lisp ecosystem issue that has dogged the Lisp community
for years. Somehow we have got to get past this stuff or we'll never get
anywhere. Its like the rule of law: people will never venture very much
if they can't count on a system supporting them to protect what they
venture.

--Jeff