[elephant-devel] Elephant on Windows/SBCL?

Elliott Slaughter elliottslaughter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 23:36:22 UTC 2008

Hi,
I would like to port a project of mine which currently uses Allegro/ACache
to Elephant. Installing and loading Elephant 0.9.1 on Windows using Allegro
8.1, the precompiled dlls, and the default config.sexpr worked fine, but an
identical configuration in SBCL 1.0.13 failed with the following error:

; compiling file "C:\\Program Files\\asdf\\elephant\\src\\utils\\os.lisp"
(written 12 SEP 2008 03:09:13 PM):
; compiling (IN-PACKAGE :ELEPHANT-UTILS); compilation aborted because of
fatal error:
;   READ failure in COMPILE-FILE:
;     SB-INT:SIMPLE-READER-PACKAGE-ERROR at 885 (line 27, column 27) on
#<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file C:\\Program
Files\\asdf\\elephant\\src\\utils\\os.lisp" {AB2CC49}>:
;       package "SB-POSIX" not found

debugger invoked on a SB-INT:SIMPLE-FILE-ERROR:
  couldn't remove "C:\\Program Files\\asdf\\elephant\\src\\utils\\os.fasl":
    Permission denied

Which is caused by using sb-posix:chdir in in-directory because sb-posix
doesn't exist in win32 builds of SBCL. I can't seem to find any quick fixes,
but http://brainrack.wordpress.com/2008/05/29/running-sbcl-on-windows/ might
help.

How much work would it be to get Elephant to work on Windows/SBCL? Do you
need threads or anything else that just isn't available for Windows on SBCL?
Or is it just that no one happens to test that combination of platforms?

Thanks.

--
Elliott Slaughter

"Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere." - Frank
Herbert