[elephant-devel] Documentation Build Problems and Questions

Glenn Tarcea gtarcea at umich.edu
Mon May 26 02:33:02 UTC 2008

I have a few questions on the document builds. I've finally completed
a build of the documentation, including generating a PDF file, but I
had to change a few files to get the document build to complete.
Having not used TeX before, and because I hacked things to get it
working, I'm going to describe my changes, rather than send out an
incorrect patch.

The first issue I ran into was that makeinfo was failing. I was able
to resolve that by removing the following includes in the
reference.texinfo file:

@subsection Direct Class Index Manipulation

@include includes/fun-elephant-find-class-index.texinfo
@include includes/fun-elephant-find-inverted-index.texinfo
@include includes/fun-elephant-make-class-cursor.texinfo
@include includes/macro-elephant-with-class-cursor.texinfo
@include includes/fun-elephant-make-inverted-cursor.texinfo
@include includes/macro-elephant-with-inverted-cursor.texinfo

and

@subsection Dynamic Indexing API

@include includes/fun-elephant-enable-class-indexing.texinfo
@include includes/fun-elephant-disable-class-indexing.texinfo
@include includes/fun-elephant-add-class-slot-index.texinfo
@include includes/fun-elephant-remove-class-slot-index.texinfo
@include includes/fun-elephant-add-class-derived-index.texinfo
@include includes/fun-elephant-remove-class-derived-index.texinfo

Next, I tried to build the PDF file, but I kept getting pdfetex
failures. It couldn't find the 'image' file IndexedBtrees1.pdf and
ArchDiagram.pdf. The file user-guide.texinfo refers to
IndexedBtrees1, but it it (correctly) referring to the png file. The
same with the ArchDiagram reference in elephant-design.texinfo. If I
copy the IndexedBtrees.png file to IndexedBtrees.pdf and
ArchDiagram.png to ArchDiagram.pdf then the system completes.

The @image commands look correct (example:
@image{ArchDiagram,,4.5in,[Architecture Diagram],png})

Even if I change the ",png" to ",.png" that doesn't make a
difference, it is still looking for a .pdf file.

Is anyone else able to build the documentation, without having to
rename the .png files to .pdf files? I'm building on MacOSX (Tiger).
Right now I don't have access to another system to try this on, but I
am wondering if there is an issue with my pdfetex command not
correctly parsing the @image.

Thanks,

Glenn