[elephant-devel] Clbuild

Robert L. Read read at robertlread.net
Mon May 12 00:12:16 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 14:22 -0700, Bryan Emrys wrote:
> At one point the clbuild maintainers looked at elephant but had some problems that prevented inclusion.
>
> Specifically:
>
> #  - needs sb-posix, but doesn't declare that dependency, meaning that
> #    it doesn't build even with a config file
> #  - ele-clsql loads clsql from the .asd file, not using :depends-on,
> #    which is completely unacceptable
> #    (we blacklist ele-clsql in clbuild.lisp because of that)
>
> Did anyone ever respond?

Dear Bryan,
	Thanks for calling this to our attention.  I doubt anyone ever
responded to our being blacklisted, as I have no recollection of it.

	I have removed the explicit load, and my tests are red but I doubt that
was the problem.

	I am not a master of ASDF --- can someone (Bryan?) tell me how we can
integrate the fact that we depend on sb-posix into the ASDF
(:depeonds-on ) expressions without dependence on SBCL?  Can we just use
a compiler pragma like:

  :depends-on (:uffi
#+sbcl  :sb-posix
:cl-base64))

in our asdf files?  If so we will have to do something similar for
each supported system (see os.lisp):

(defmacro in-directory ((dir) &body body)
  `(progn
     (#+sbcl sb-posix:chdir
      #+cmu unix:unix-chdir
      #+allegro excl:chdir
      #+lispworks hcl:change-directory
      #+openmcl ccl:cwd
      ,dir)
     , at body))

Finally, our documentation build system, make-ref.lisp, seems to be more
deeply SBCL dependent than anything in Elephant;  but that doesn't hurt
much, as we normally build and publish the documentation with each
release anyway.  I wonder if we could just make the documentation build
a separate package, in order to satisfy the clbuild requirements?