[elephant-devel] Query System

Ian Eslick eslick at media.mit.edu
Sat May 10 14:12:48 UTC 2008

On May 10, 2008, at 12:26 AM, lists at infoway.net wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> Thanks for your comments. They do make some points a bit clearer and
> bring others to the table. I'd like to see others comment as well
> before we continue moving forward.
>
> In summary, I agree to follow your suggestion. However, one thing
> that still remains unclear to me is the type of result expected from
> the query system.

See my comments below, but I think we want to avoid consing large sets
where possible.  So once we've defined a set of objects using a query
expressions we may want to:

1) Perform a non-consing map operation over it
2) Return it in a list
3) intersect it with another query set
4) returning a list of slot values or mapping over the slot value

#2 is easy to derive from #1 - that's what get-instances-by-value does
today.

#3, to be efficient, may require lazy query evaluation.

#4 is what you discuss below.

I think the general idea is that a query defines a set of objects, but
how you use it defines the time/space cost of evaluating that set.  I
actually like the Django notion of lazy query sets - you can perform
operations like intersecting two query sets, but the actual query
isn't executed until you need to operate on a member of the set.  This
gives the query compiler the maximum information to optimize.

> I was under the assumption that we want to continue handling objects
> of the persistent classes in Elephant. Thus, the results from the
> query should be a set (list, etc) of objects matching the criteria.
> However, reading your comments makes me think that what you're
> suggesting is that the result set be something closer to what a SQL
> query would return. So, going back to my example, instead of
> receiving a set of Books, you would get back something like:

Wow, that was not the impression I intended to make!  I definitely
prefer an object-centric view by default.  We may want to return pairs
of objects, however.  Returning values is easy to implement on top of
a map, as the example below illustrates.

> ((book_oid book_title book_author publisher_oid publisher_name
> publisher_year) (value11 value12 value 13, value14, value15 value16)
> (value21 value22 value23 value24 value25 value26) ... )
>
> In other words, maybe something like a list that contains a list of
> the slot names returned and then the list of matching values, where
> the list of slots is either the concatenation of all the slots in
> the persistent classes (in the case of something like SELECT
> Books.*, Publishers.* ...) or the specific slots requested (e.g.
> SELECT Books.author, Publishers.name ...).

Of course it's easy to do the above with a map operation or wrapper
with a closure that binds map-fn, the user's function, and slots, a
list of slots to operate on.

(lambda (obj)
   (apply #'map-fn
  	(mapcar (lambda (slot) (funcall accessor obj))
	        slots)))

So the user would see something like:

(map-query (:slots name city state country)
    (lambda (name city state country)
       ...))

It would mostly be a convenience function built on top of the basic
query mechanism, and not essential to start with...

> And therefore, the result set would be treated as simply a set of
> values instead of a set of objects. Within the result set, you could
> include the OIDs so that you could eventually instantiate the
> particular object and work in via the object model, or you could
> simply just use the values returned, which is what you originally
> asked for in the SELECT statement.

I do think the semantics of a query should be that query results are a
set of objects, rather than only persistent objects.  It means the
user can work with a result list, or map over the results; working
with whatever my query string specifies.  That said, we should start
by just extracting sets of objects for users to map over that satisfy
the constraints.  We definitely should be able to specify that the
system only return oids.

> [...]
>> Logical form?  Graph matching?  There are some good examples of
>> existing OODB systems in lisp out there (PLOB, AllegroStore/
>> AllegroCache, Statice, etc).  If you search the list archives, I
>> think I've forwarded references in the past.
>>
>> I tend to lean towards a constraint satisfaction approach, as my
>> sketch demonstrations.  "Operate on the set of objects that satisfy
>> these constraints."  There are a bunch of practical issues.  Do we
>> map query sets?  Do we cache them?  Do we represent them as lists?
>> Are they lazily evaluated?  If we don't have a DSL, but allow
>> arbitrary lisp expressions, then there isn't enough information to
>> automatically select indexes, perform intersections, etc.
>>

>> My other strong suggestion, besides starting by capturing the major
>> use cases, is that we begin by implementing a procedural approach
>> by implementing the building blocks for filter, sort, intersect,
>> etc.  If we take the list of four filtering approaches above, we
>> can start writing code that do these things and use them to
>> implement some of the use cases.  The common building blocks and
>> problems that we discover will inform the additions we'll want to
>> the MOP, new implicit data structures like associations, the most
>> convenient query syntax, etc.  Plus it will be useful in the
>> meantime.  This fits into the classic lisp bottom-up DSL
>> development model (well proselytized by Paul. Graham).
>>
>> Ian
>>

>> On May 9, 2008, at 6:02 PM, lists at infoway.net wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I apologize for being disconnected for so long. I had volunteered
>>> to help in the query system and should have done more progress by
>>> now. Unfortunately, the same as some (most or all) of you, putting
>>> food on the table for my family has a higher priority and my
>>> current job has demanded 110% of my time lately.
>>>
>>> Enough excuses! I have been passively reading several of your
>>> email threads. I am convinced that a query system will bring a lot
>>> of value to Elephant. The question that still arises is whether or
>>> not people want a SQL-like syntax or a Lisp-like syntax.
>>>
>>> As Ian has suggested, publicly and/or privately, we should start
>>> designing the query system in a very basic form. The most critical
>>> part would be query optimization, which I'd rather work on after
>>> we have the basic query system in place. But there are a lot of
>>> decisions to make before we get there and coming to a consensus of
>>> how it should look and how it should work is of critical importance.
>>>
>>> From a simplistic point of view, a SQL-like syntax should allow
>>> for the execution of the basic relational algebraic operations
>>> (union, difference, cartesian product, projection, and selection).
>>> For the most part, these would not be difficult to implement.
>>> However, IMHO, there is an intrinsic "contradiction" in applying a
>>> SQL-like syntax on top of Elephant.
>>>
>>> Assume you have the following Tables (relations) in a SQL world:

>>> book_id,
>>> title,
>>> author
>>> )
>>>
>>> Publishers (
>>> publisher_id,
>>> name
>>> )
>>>
>>> BooksPublishers (
>>> book_id,
>>> publisher_id,
> [...]
>>> SORTING, LIMIT, OFFSET, etc. Things which will simply make this
>>> whole dilemma more difficult.
>>>
>>> I haven't looked into Ian's association mechanism yet. Maybe the
>>> query system could/should be an extension to that with some
>>> specialized features to apply filter criteria instead (and
>>> possibly evolve into something similar to Ruby's ActiveRecord). I
>>> know the association mechanism is still being developed and I
>>> haven't really seen anyone comment much on it other than what Ian
>>> has mentioned. In one of Ian's comments, he said:
>>>
>>>   "A more general query language is probably the right solution
>>> for this interface.  The query language would know about
>>> associations, derived indices, etc and perform query planning via
>>> introspection over the class objects."
>>>
>>> At the same time, Robert said on another thread:
>>>
>>>   "One might philosophically prefer SQL.  I personally vaster
>>> prefer to work in a powerful programming language to accomplish
>>> these things. Obviously, whether two classes that refer to each
>>> other stand in a "parent-child" relationship or not depends
>>> entirely on the circumstances.  I prefer to write simple functions
>>> such as "delete-order" below, which both utilize and (in a sense)
>>> expand the power of LISP applied to persistent objects."
>>>
>>> Leslie said on yet another thread:
>>>
>>>   "While I'm at it: OFFSET and LIMIT (a real limit which lets you
>>> specify an arbitrary Lisp expression) are things we definitely
>>> want to aim for in 1.0. They are not difficult to implement at
>>> all, but they don't work with GET-INSTANCES-BY-* and, worse, MAP-
>>> BTREE. This means everyone has to write their own version of these
>>> functions that take appropriate arguments and move the cursor
>>> around themselves instead of relying on a simple high-level API.
>>>
>>> I'd have implemented these extensions myself, but I thought it
>>> better to wait for the integration of the query language to add it."
>>>
>>> And Alex said:
>>>
>>>   "I think main problem is not how it looks, but that query
>>> language actually makes programming a lot easier."
>>>
>>> All those comments make sense. There seems to be a group agreement
>>> that something is needed, but everyone has their own ideas of how
>>> it should work. Both the query language and the associations are
>>> still being developed, so if we get consensus no how these should
>>> work, it may give a better direction to both feature sets. If
>>> anyone has any comments or suggestion as to whether a query system
>>> be of real interest/necessity and if so, which would be the
>>> preferred query syntax and expected behavior, that would really
>>> help.
>>>
>>> I'm willing to work on this in as much as possible with my limited
>>> knowledge of Lisp and Elephant. However, given a clear direction
>>> of where this should go, I will be able to focus better and learn
>>> faster what I haven't learned so far.
>>>
>>> Again, your feedback is much appreciated. I'm hopeful to be able
>>> to work more on this over the weekend, assuming I get some

>>> Daniel