[elephant-devel] SQLite locking error / BDB multi-image support

Leslie P. Polzer leslie.polzer at gmx.net
Wed Feb 27 13:40:33 UTC 2008

> Hmmm...I believe that only the first to connect should attempt recovery.

I'm not so sure about that (in fact I think DB_REGISTER is only there
so you can specify DB_RECOVER for every process), but it doesn't really
matter for me as long as it works. The only solution for me therefore
is having only one process perform recovery, if needed, and make sure
this one is run first. Yuk.

I'm fond of a Tokyo Cabinet backend.

> Much of these issues are BDB restrictions that one has to live with if
> you want to do more than the basic thing with them.  It would be
> worthwhile for you to read up on BDB if you want to do the multi-
> process implementation.  I don't know of anyone who has fully charted
> this territory and elephant certainly doesn't have specific features
> to help you deal (although you can launch a background db_deadlock
> process to free deadlocked threads/processes with an argument to open-
> store on your master process).

Yeah, I got bitten by that one afterwards. Amazing how fast a deadlock
will occur when I don't run the detector...

> By mess up the other process I assume you are running into a crash of
> some kind and not data corruption (i.e. transaction design) issues

Yes, correct.

Thanks for all the ideas.

  Leslie