[elephant-devel] Cross-references and SETF SLOT-VALUE

Leslie P. Polzer leslie.polzer at gmx.net
Thu Feb 21 13:41:24 UTC 2008

I'm not sure I understood your message correctly. But see below.

> Ok, this is an architectural issue that wasn't completely thought
> out.  Currently class indexing effectively limits instances of a class
> to a specific store.  The first time an instance is saved, the current
> *store-controller* is used to create the class index tying the class
> to that store.

I do not have a problem with that.
Actually, it's desired behaviour since the indexed objects of a certain
class need to belong to two different stores in my setup.

> I have a local patch which changes this behavior to create a class
> index for each store's objects.  For example, in your test code, if
> you call get-instances-by-class in the context of *sc1*, you'll get
> nothing, in the context of *sc2* you'll get the instance you created
> in *sc2*.  Each store has it's own local set of class indices.

Isn't this the current behaviour?

> I'm concerned there are other areas where the policy choice becomes
> difficult.  My inclination is to assert that if you want to index
> persistent objects in multiple stores, you should plan for that
> explicitly and not use the class indexing mechanism.

I still don't understand why there's a problem with having SETF SLOT-VALUE
figure out the correct controller...

  Leslie