[elephant-devel] BDB vs postmodern

lists at infoway.net lists at infoway.net
Thu Feb 21 01:44:15 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I don't mean to start a war here or put any work down. However, I just
needed some clarification/direction into which way the data stores
work is going.

 From the documentation I've read, the BDB data store only supports
BDB version 4.5 (or up to 4.5), so further work done in 4.6 and above
is not leveraged. I don't know if there is any effort to continue
evolving the BDB data store. Any comments?

Also, from what I've been reading on the list, it seems the postmodern
data store is more active. Granted is a more recent data store and may
need more work to get to where the BDB data store has gotten after all
this time (just speculation since I haven't really used the postmodern
data store). However, from what I've read, the postmodern seems to use
Postgres as the backend but not in a Object-Relational mode but rather
as plain storing of "btree pages". So, in essence, what I understand
is that operating on this data store requires elephant to read/write
"pages" or "btrees" in Postgres and once in memory, they may be
treated similar to how the BDB engine works (don't mean to mock
postmodern with my lack of knowledge).

So, putting licensing issues aside, what is the real difference/
advantage of one data store over the other? In a recent email I read
by Alex, he mentions he's going to work on improving performance on
the postmodern data store. So, even after that improves and
performance is matched with that of BDB, is there an advantage of one
data store over the other?

Since Postgres does allow for features such as replication,
clustering, and fail-over with multiple active simultaneous client
connections, does this mean that I could have multiple (separate) lisp
clients using elephant connecting to a separate Postgres cluster with
no concurrency issues?

Thanks,
Waldo