[elephant-devel] Fix for Unicode2 serializer

Ian Eslick eslick at media.mit.edu
Wed Feb 20 22:32:43 UTC 2008

On Feb 20, 2008, at 11:36 AM, Leslie P. Polzer wrote:

> I don't know whether it was a change in Elephant, SBCL or even
> somewhere
> else that introduced problems with the Unicode serializer, but the fix
> is very small (changed two calls to SCHAR to CHAR) and should probably
> be applied ASAP.
>
> I'm not sure why the code is discerning between STRING and SIMPLE-
> STRING
> anyway. Does anyone know?

I think that some lisps differentiated between 8-bit arrays of
standard ASCII text (simple string) and string which is a more general
type encompassing multi-byte and UTF8 unicode.  Since we don't byte
copy simple strings anymore (do we?) it may be an artifact of the
earlier serializer implementation's optimization.