[elephant-devel] QDBM Support

Jason Anderson jla415 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 22:50:16 UTC 2008

I don't claim to be an expert and I don't exactly remember the details
but historically the linux/*bsd filesystems didn't like it when you
had tens of thousands or more files in a single directory... using a
deep directory structure such as /c/d/f/cdf383d3.dat helped alleviate
the problem somewhat but I think there was still an issue with the
amount of memory used just caching all the inodes and such and extreme
slowness trying to delete many small files

the newer filesystems may fare better but they didn't exist back in
those days that I was exploring this sort of thing