[elephant-devel] Optimization

Elliott Slaughter elliottslaughter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 05:35:06 UTC 2008

Hi,
I am exploring Elephant/BDB as a backend for a video game I am writing. I
have ignored performance considerations so far, but on some larger maps
(around 100 objects), performance is abominably slow (around 5 fps). The
same maps run about 10 times faster (about 50 fps) when using completely
in-memory hash-tables.

Based on profiling, it appears that the main bottleneck is persistent slot
lookup. I remember reading that Elephant reads from file on every slot read,
which could explain this result.

Are cached slots usable yet (at least in a single-threaded situation)? When
I use ":cached t" in my slot definitions, I get errors.

Any other advice about optimization would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Elliott Slaughter

"Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere." - Frank
Herbert