[elephant-devel] bdb licencing

Joubert Nel joubert at joubster.com
Wed May 23 23:10:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 18:28, Robert L. Read wrote:
> I agree with Ian.  Previously, one definitely required a license for
> any public-facing commercial website.
> I have not researched any change that Oracle may or may not have made.

Reading the Oracle licensing page
(http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/berkeley-db/htdocs/licensing.html):

1) Whether the application is commercial or not is immaterial to whether
you need to license.
2) The restriction is that if you "redistribute" an application you need
a license, unless your application is distributed with source code (i.e.
"open source")
3) They specifically state that you don't need a license if your
application is not distributed to others.

Legally, the clarification then needs to be around what constitutes
"distribution". In the Q&A section of the licensing page they give 2
lame examples of what would not be considered "distribution", but
unfortunately, I don't see any specific reference as to whether a
public-facing website would be considered "distribution of the
application".

My (limited) legal knowledge would say that a public-facing website does
not constitute distribution of the application. However, if you host the
application on at a hosting company, this may be argued to be
"distributed" to this party.

Joubert

PS: there is an e-mail address on this licensing page; perhaps someone
wants to submit this question?