[elephant-devel] bdb licencing

Chris Dean ctdean at sokitomi.com
Wed May 23 22:29:35 UTC 2007

"Robert L. Read" <read at robertlread.net> writes:
> I agree with Ian.  Previously, one definitely required a license for
> any public-facing commercial website.  I have not researched any
> change that Oracle may or may not have made.

Wow, news to me.  Do you know of a web page or email archive that
confirms that?

I did find http://www.winterspeak.com/columns/102901.html from 2001
which does seem to say the opposite:

  The restrictions apply only to people who actually ship Berkeley
  DB. That's the action that requires either payment or release of
  source code. Building a Web service on top of Berkeley DB and making
  it available via HTTP doesn't require payment or release of code.

Cheers,
Chris Dean