[elephant-devel] Documentation / Backends

Ian Eslick eslick at csail.mit.edu
Sat Mar 24 16:19:50 UTC 2007

There will be a whole section in the manual (which is being rewritten
as we speak) on how to write (or at least understand) a backend for
Elephant.  I'm not sure this will be exhaustive, but should be a good
guide to the landscape and make it much easier to get started.
Henrik just finished writing a postgresql backend that didn't use
CLSQL and without much guidance too, so there's a datapoint that you
don't have to be an Elephant developer to do it.

FYI - I've been hacking on the skeleton of an all-lisp backend, but
would welcome collaboration or even taking a back seat if someone
else was motivated to write one.

Also, the new manual will be available online in texinfo-tree form, a
single HTML file and in PDF.  I'm happy to take your suggestion and
supply a pre-build version of all these files in the distribution and
source control.  The lack of that has bugged me in the past as well.
As part of the manual rewrite, I've been cleaning up the build
process and when I'm done it should work if you have texinfo, tex and
sbcl installed on your system.  There is also a manual procedure to
do this in other lisps that I will document in the Install section of
the new manual.

Ian