[elephant-devel] Start of 0.6.1 Beta Cycle

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Fri Mar 23 14:22:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:11:58 -0400, Ian Eslick <eslick at csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> I think the cygwin version is slow to update their versions and for
> various reasons we tend to depend on the latest release (4.5 in this
> case).

Really?  I thought that BerkeleyDB was always distributed as a whole
with all versions in one package.  The "build_unix" directory was in
the directory installed by the binary Windows (.msi) distribution and
I could build a Cygwin DLL from there without problems.

But, as I said, I'd prefer a "native" DLL over a Cygwin one.  (I
understand that you're building your own libs with "--no-cygwin" and
"--mingw32" but that wouldn't be the case for the BerkeleyDB DLL
then.)

> Your point on windows builds is well taken.  Here is a possible
> approach:
>
> By default, we distribute DLLs with major releases and major
> development checkpoints.  There is a configuration option to inhibit
> compilation.  If people want to track the development tree, they'll
> have to enable this switch and then dig into why it doesn't work.
> The current DLLs shouldn't depend on cygwin (--no-cygwin --mingw32).
> However they'll only work on 32-bit Windows.

Sounds very good to me!

> Does cygwin do cross-compilation for 64-bit windows?

Ugh, I don't know...