[elephant-devel] Start of 0.6.1 Beta Cycle

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Fri Mar 23 13:58:14 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:19:49 -0400, Ian Eslick <eslick at csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> Any ideas for a better solution on your end?  I have to admit to an
> extreme dislike of cygwin after a nasty summer in it's company some
> years back.

I think you can't really blame Cygwin in this case because Elephant
uses the native BerkeleyDB Windows library although a Cygwin version
is available:

  http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/db/ref/build_win/intro.html

It'd probably be better to change the build process and use that one,
but I haven't tried.  The downside might be that you can't use the
resulting DLL in a non-Cygwin environment anymore.

My preferred solution would be to distribute Cygwin-independent
pre-compiled DLLs (maybe generated with Visual Studio) for memutil and
db-bdb like CLSQL does it.  Experience shows that "automatic" command
line builds of C programs on Windows almost never work and Windows
users are neither prepared nor willing do dig into this stuff.