[elephant-devel] Fwd: some patches

Ian Eslick eslick at csail.mit.edu
Tue Jul 31 19:24:39 UTC 2007

The practical problem that led to the current design of index sorting
is that we cannot use lisp code to define the sorting function for
serialized values inside BDB Btrees (same problem I imagine that
Henrik had with postmodern).  Instead, there is a hairy custom C
procedure that is registered with BDB that parses the serialized
format so that sorting is done first by type (symbol, string, object,
pobject, etc) followed by ordering within numeric types, strings and
symbols.  Everything else is ordered based on the byte ordering of
its serialized representation.

To map across indices correctly, we need to know up front whether the
start value is less than the end value.  And so we need a standard
lisp function that is isomorphic to the BDB sorting function.
Ideally postmodern would have a similar sorting function that
properly interprets the serialized format just like the BDB function
does.

I think it's best to have a single standard ordering that is as close
to lisp's notion of ordering as possible so we don't have to maintain
different orderings.

Ian

PS - It might be possible to have a lisp ordering function implement
BDB's notion of sorting by registering it as a callback, however it
would have to deserialize the BDB values each time.  So the problems
with this are both stability concerns for foreign callbacks and the
performance impact of serialization/deserialization for internal BDB
operations.  On the cleanliness/performance axis, I think the current
approach is the right tradeoff (it's the original one Ben made, FYI).