[elephant-devel] db-postmodern update - Integrated!

Henrik Hjelte henrik at evahjelte.com
Mon Jul 9 08:30:07 UTC 2007

On 7/7/07, Pierre THIERRY <nowhere.man at levallois.eu.org> wrote>
Scribit Robert L. Read dies 05/07/2007 hora 10:20:
> > However, it uses tables more effectively, and uses stored procedures
> > which are very Postgres-specific and not portable to a different
> > database.
>
> Well, I think that constitutes an answer to my earlier question about
> the performance gains of stored procedures: it's definitely worth
> investigating.
I tried to measure when developing the backend. Prepared queries gave
the same speed as stored procedures. Stored procedures are only used
for inserts which does a few steps in an if then clause, then I
thought it was unnecessary to send intermediate values between client
and server.

> I would find interesting to see how to cl-sql backend could be made
> extensible, so that most of the postmodern's improvements related to the
> use of the database could be ported to it.
It should be easy to factor out from clsql. Also, the postgresql
specific parts of the postmodern backend could rather easily be
factored out, they are not so many.

> Does the way the postmodern backend communicates with the DB could also
> be a source of speedup?
Yes maybe, but I don't think it is of highest importance.

> > Although we have been responsive to bugs, I don't feel that we have
> > been given a lot of feedback in terms of what direction it should
> > take.
>
> Well, I think my recent paper give some interesting directions:
>
> http://lisp-ecoop07.bknr.net/submission/13418
Looks interesting from a fast scan, I must read it better before
commenting on it though. But the shortcomings you address should be
fixed, definitely.

/Henrik