[elephant-devel] 4th European Lisp Workshop

red daly reddaly at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 22:19:08 UTC 2007

Ian Eslick wrote:
> You should check out Arthur Lemmon's Rucksack, it's architecture is
> much more ZODB like.
>
> A couple of people are also interested in doing an all-lisp data store
> for Elephant that gets rid of any license issues.  I believe that it
> may be possible to make the native solution run faster than BDB.  I'm
> still stuck on how to perform inexpensive locking or atomic sections
> (for lock-free datastructures) without external libraries.

Maybe you can elaborate on the locking problems so the collective genius
can have at them.

A native Lisp data store seems to be a project in the back of the minds
of some developers and list subscribers.  I have not gone through the
whole thought experiment myself, but maybe others have.  Ian, perhaps
you can give a sketch of the lisp backend you imagine.  What's the
general architecture and feature set?

Even if a lisp backend does not crop up for a while, it can't hurt to
share some insights on the eternal mailing list.  If something detailed
enough gets posted, perhaps all it will take for a new backend
implementation is a rainy afternoon and a Lisp wizard.

> Ian

Red