[elephant-devel] 4th European Lisp Workshop

Ben midfield at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 17:37:08 UTC 2007

this is an entirely anecdotal remark, not really relevant, but one of
the original inspirations for elephant was a database system that was
used in-house at a company i was at with andrew blumberg and other
lisp hackers.  i was doing java crap and was a complete lisp neophyte,
and was amazed to see "change-class" in action.  that was a disrupting
experience.  also, i had been worried about the object-relational
impedance mismatch for a while.  BDB-backed elephant was a way to get
persistence without a table structure, and hopefully reap some
benefits in flexibility.  the original target applications were web
stuff and a mother-of-all-email-clients which never materialized.

i still think writing a ZODB-like backend would be a good idea,
especially given sleepycat's licensing issues.

take care, B