[elephant-devel] 4th European Lisp Workshop

Pierre THIERRY nowhere.man at levallois.eu.org
Wed Apr 11 17:25:53 UTC 2007

Scribit Robert L. Read dies 09/04/2007 hora 18:43:
> However, if someone else can go, I am also happy to help or to
> co-author a paper with them.

It occurred to me that the combination of persistence and the MOP goes
far beyond anything else I know in terms of flexibility WRT to the data
model.

That is, even a powerful macro system to build code that accesses a DB
sets in stone the data model at compile-time. But a persistence library
based on the MOP can bring to stored data the dynamic nature of CLOS,
and you could completely change how data is organized, while the
application runs, without having to build a migration tool, even if this
process is automated (which is hard, I suppose), like cl-migrations.

Like Erlang, Common Lisp enables a system to remain live while being
updated at the code level. An Elephant-like persisence library enables a
system to remain live while being updated at the data model level also,
almost for free.

I think this could easily make a short paper, maybe even a long one. I
will try to write a first draft of it, and probably ask for help at some
point.

Quickly,
Pierre
nowhere.man at levallois.eu.org