[elephant-devel] Design Suggestion Request

Ian Eslick eslick at csail.mit.edu
Thu Jul 27 18:56:03 UTC 2006

All,

I think the long term goal is to make read/write policy something that
is integrated into a per-class policy with per-instance state.  Robert,
have you forwarded that discussion we had about DCM to the list?  If so
it should be in the archives from several months back.  The short story
is that you want to have different policies with different amounts of
explicit control based on your problem.

For small DB's where ACID properties aren't important - just keep
everything in memory as if Elephant wasn't there.  If you want to save
something - just tell the object to store itself to get the benefits of
auto serialization.

For larger DB's you might want a tiered approach:
- Critical new objects have read-from-memory but write-through-to-disk
for fast reads but safe writes
- Non-critical new objects are read/write from memory unless explicitly
checkpointed
- Critical objects that aren't new are read/write from disk (existing
Elephant default) so you don't overwhelm
your physical memory

Rucksack has some of the same features as DCM, but is not yet ready for
real deployment (since I last looked a few months back).

The 0.6.0 manual should have a section on indexing and the function
reference should have get-instances-by-class (an elephant function in
elephant/classindex.lisp).  defpclass may not be documented but is just
shorthand for adding the :metaclass class option.  Just M-. defpclass
with elephant loaded.  In fact the doc strings are available for all
these if you do M-. via Slime when the elephant package is loaded.

The select-if is a function I use locally that just accepts each element
of the list accepted by the predicate, it's not a part of elephant.

I'm not sure when we'll get to adding new major features but if someone
would like to dive in and think about this I'm happy to answer questions
about the rationale behind the code.

Ian