[elephant-devel] Design Suggestion Request

Robert L. Read read at robertlread.net
Thu Jul 27 18:07:28 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 13:45 -0400, Daniel Salama wrote:

> Robert, I understand your approach. However, I don't know if using
> DCM at my beginner's stage may be more complicated. I also think
> that, although RAM is getting cheaper every day, there are just
> physical limitations that machines have. I'm looking over my
> application's data and it's not that bad, considering that after 2
> years worth of data, I'm using approximately 1GB of hard drive
> space.
> So, independently of that, and if I understood you correctly, when
> I'm abstracting and accessing my model through the director, it
> sounds to me that either I persist all on storage or in cache (for
> each director). If I choose cache, then I have to manually write
> code
> to persist changes, instead of it being "automatic".

Yes, you have understood the issues exactly.

A reasonable way to work is to use completely persistent objects and see
how the performance
is for you --- LISP and elephant support this kind of rapid prototyping
extremely well.  I may be
a bit old-fashioned---but I often find that I end up having to take
explicit control of the write-back
policy in any case, and I personally never find having to remember when
to write things a burden,
since they are almost always part of a "business rule", if your using a
3-tiered application.

On the other hand, you can follow your plan based on Ian's idea, and
similar layer on secondary
indexes once prototyping shows that you need them.