[elephant-devel] Improved test examples checked into the HEAD....

Robert L. Read read at robertlread.net
Tue Jan 24 18:40:19 UTC 2006

Andrew Blumberg is very kindly and patiently working on some subtle
bugs in the latest version when run on OpenMCL.

His work led me to understand that the test suite, which I consider to
be critical to the success of a project of this size, although
fundamentally
very useful is a bit confusing to use when you try to use it in a
BerkeleyD-only
or a SQL-only installation.

I have therefore just checked in three files that I hope clarify
matters:

BerkeleyDB-tests.lisp --- an example of running the tests in a
BerkeleyDB-only installation
SQLDB-test.lisp --- an example of running the tests in a SQL (e.g.
Postgres or SQLite3)-only
installation.
MigrationTests.lisp --- invocation of the "migration" tests, which test
moving data from
one back-end to another.  Since one can use any combination nation or
repositories ---
including BDB -> BDB, this necessarily requires the user to configure
for their own
installation.

I will document all those on the project website and in the Installation
notes.

* * *

I would particularly like to thank Andrew Blumberg and Waldo Rubinstein
for their
work getting OpenMCL working; a subtle, MOP-ish difference is breaking
things there.

Personally, I think the momentum of this project is building; we are
seeing a lot of
problems (relatively speaking) reported because we are expanding the
usage of the
system.  I hope I'm not just fooling myself.

I was recently asked how many people use Elephant --- I really have no
idea.
If you read this and are using Elephant, or tried and abandoned it for
some reason,
please send me an email at "read at robertlread.net" or even to this
list.

I would really like to know if the number of users is closer to 10 or
100; if I
had to guess I would say 15 today.

----
Robert L. Read, PhD                                     read &T
robertlread.net
Consider visiting Progressive Engineering:
http://robertlread.net/pe
In Austin: 912-8593                                        "Think
globally, Act locally." -- RBF