[elephant-devel] A thorny problem....

Klaus Harbo klaus at harbo.net
Sat Feb 18 17:33:31 UTC 2006

On 17/02/2006, at 16:17, Robert L. Read wrote:

> I think I've a identified a serious problem relating to the
> the dependencies on various modules that I offer up
> for you comment.
>
> I major goal of the multiple backend system is to allow
> you to not need to install the software related to the system
> you don't need.  If you want to use BerkeleyDB, you shouldn't have
> to install CL-SQL.  If you want to use CL-SQL and a relational
> database,
> you can't shouldn't have to install BerkeleyDB (which would subject
> you to their license, in any case.)

I have spent some time looking at what it would take to make Elephant
work with Lispworks.  It would a considerable advantage if I could
deal with making one backend work at a time.

-Klaus.

PS I case you're wondering, the status of this effort is that I can
get basic values into and out from the Postgres backend store,
whereas I keep getting EAGAIN signals whenever I try to use the
Berkeley backend.  I haven't had time yet to look more into getting
persistent classes work.  The Berkeley backend required a significant
number of changes, since the code generated by UFFI for Lispworks
requires placeholder (dummy) arguments for :out parameters, where
Allegro and SBCL/CMUCL seem to want none.