[elephant-devel] Elephant 0.3.0 released

Robert L. Read read at robertlread.net
Sun Nov 27 14:52:21 UTC 2005

>   I hate to point this out, but you actually tagged it ELEPHNAT-0-3-0.
> Anyway!  I am trying it out

Dohh!!!

Sorry about that; I will leave that tag there are put a properly spelled
one on the same set of files
later today.

> now.  There seem to be some efficiency issues... caching the result of
> make-form-key could actually
> save 10% of cpu time in my setup... so I'm going to take a look at
> them once I get it running.

Thank you.  I am generally of the school of not optimizing early; my own
application which drives
this has never broken a noticable sweat; perhaps just because it is
unpopular.

If you are using a relational database back-end, a huge improvement
would be to modify the
existing serializer to produce a character-writable stream rather than a
byte stream and eliminate
the base64 encoding that I put in.  The the base64 encoding/decoding
itself is not a problem;
but it probably doubles or triples the number of bytes that have to be
stored in the database,
and that I/O is probably the dominant cost in the system.

I am not cavalier about this, but I have to choose my battles wisely.
For example, I consider
getting Elephant to work the Unicode based SBCL far more important than
even a 3-fold
improvement in performance at this point.

However, I encourage you to do more great work, like the bug fix you
made, and I will attempt
to incorporate it promptly.

I also would like to know other peoples experience with the 0.3.0
release.  I tested it thoroughly
in my machine; but that is only one setup.