[elephant-devel] Some problems installing Elephant

Antonio Menezes Leitao aml at gia.ist.utl.pt
Wed Mar 2 09:47:23 UTC 2005

Ben <ben at medianstrip.net> writes:

> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Edi Weitz wrote:
>
>> I. Allegro 7.0
>
> Allegro 7.0 isn't currently supported yet by us.  If there is enough
> demand we'll port the Allegro 6.2 stuff to it.  Is there a pressing
> need for it?  We usually use SBCL.

I adapted elephant to work with Allegro 7.0. It was easy to do but I
didn't test it carefully as I'm not using anything fancy from elephant
(just persistent classes, btrees and transactions).  The regression
tests show:

3 out of 85 total tests failed: ARRAYS-1, NO-EVAL-INITFORM,
   UPDATE-CLASS.

>> 1. I installed the 'libpth14' package from Debian for the threading
>>   library but got these results when compiling/loading Elephant:
>>
>>     Error: Loading /usr/lib/libpthread.so failed with error:
>>            /usr/lib/libpthread.so: invalid ELF header.
>>
>>   There's another package available called 'libpth2' but I get the
>>   same error with that one.  I then proceeded without libpthread.so,
>>   i.e. I just removed the form which tried to load this library and
>>   all else seems to work (more or less).  Is this library really
>>   needed?  And what for?

I had to process the libpthread.so for Allegro to be able to load it
(they must be shared libraries):

$ ld -shared -o <some directory>/libpthread.so /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0

Then, on the file sleepycat.lisp, include (change) the following:

  #+linux
  (unless
      #+allegro (uffi:load-foreign-library "<some directory>/libpthread.so" :module "pthread")
      #-allegro (uffi:load-foreign-library "/lib/tls/libpthread.so.0" :module "pthread")
    (error "Couldn't load libpthread!"))

It works for me but, anyway, maybe the library is not really needed.

Best regards,

António Leitão.