[elephant-devel] Some problems installing Elephant

Ben ben at medianstrip.net
Wed Mar 2 03:41:06 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Edi Weitz wrote:

> I. Allegro 7.0

Allegro 7.0 isn't currently supported yet by us.  If there is enough
demand we'll port the Allegro 6.2 stuff to it.  Is there a pressing
need for it?  We usually use SBCL.

> 1. I installed the 'libpth14' package from Debian for the threading
>   library but got these results when compiling/loading Elephant:
>
>     Error: Loading /usr/lib/libpthread.so failed with error:
>            /usr/lib/libpthread.so: invalid ELF header.
>
>   There's another package available called 'libpth2' but I get the
>   same error with that one.  I then proceeded without libpthread.so,
>   i.e. I just removed the form which tried to load this library and
>   all else seems to work (more or less).  Is this library really
>   needed?  And what for?

In all honestly I don't know.  I work with FreeBSD.  On Fedora systems
it was necessary to include this library, so I assumed it was a linux
thing.

> 2. I saw a couple of warnings during compilation:

I guess the Allegro compiler is more picky than the SBCL one.

> 3. Running all tests with (EL-TEST::DO-ALL-TESTS) gave this:
>
>     3 out of 85 total tests failed: ELEPHANT-TESTS::ARRAYS-1,
>        ELEPHANT-TESTS::NO-EVAL-INITFORM, ELEPHANT-TESTS::UPDATE-CLASS.
>
>   From the docs I expected only one test to fail.  What about the
>   other two?

This one is mind-boggling.  The two tests no-eval-initform and
update-class should fail, they were fixed in the CVS release.  However
I have never seem arrays-1 fail, unless just about everything else
does.  The only thing I can imagine is this having something to do
with upgraded-array-element-types.  Unfortunately I haven't tested on
Allegro 7.0.

> II.  Then I tried CMUCL 19a (from Debian) and had problems similar to
>     1. and 3. above, namely:
>
> 1. The Debian libthread.so doesn't work with CMUCL either:
>
>     Error in function SYSTEM::LOAD-OBJECT-FILE:
>        Can't open object "/usr/lib/libpthread.so": NIL
>        [Condition of type SIMPLE-ERROR]
>
> 2. More than one test fails:
>
>     2 out of 85 total tests failed: ELEPHANT-TESTS::NO-EVAL-INITFORM,
>        ELEPHANT-TESTS::UPDATE-CLASS.
>
> Finally, I installed Berkeley DB 4.3 and gave the Elephant CVS version
> a try.  I haven't captured all the details but it wasn't flawless
> either.  I seem to remember the same problems with libpthread.so and
> there were also test failures.  In addition, CMUCL complained about
> locked packages.

This is also a little perplexing.  Can you provide more details on the
test failures?  We're running 19a over here and it seems to pass the
tests, though maybe there are patches you're running we're not?

Thanks for the detailed bug report.

Take care, B