[elephant-devel] wedging elephant

Ben ben at medianstrip.net
Tue Nov 16 04:46:47 UTC 2004

i've managed to make elephant / sleepycat unresponsive by not properly
shutting it down or misusing the connections, or breaking the
threading contracts.  (aborting transactions for me is usually pretty
safe.  maybe some lisps interrupt foreign calls and others don't?)
i've personally never gotten segfaults.  what do you mean by "slot
errors on the store controller?"

in general when i'm careful to use sleepycat as the docs dictate, it
works ok.  it's a little hard, especially in an interactive session,
to write macros which guarantee correct usage, since typically
connections stay open for a long while, so "with-open-file" doesn't
make sense.

i have personally never run into a situation where recovery didn't
work.  sleepycat has gotten a "bad reputation" amongst people who i
tend to think are less than careful -- e.g. in the movable type
community, i think.  i think amongst people who care, like DBAs, it's
considered reliable.

i hope this answers your question.

take care, B