[eclm] Questions regarding accommodation and parking on ECLM 2011

Arthur Lemmens alemmens at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 17 18:06:47 UTC 2011

Sascha Wilde <wilde at sha-bang.de> wrote:

> Might the NH Tropen (Linnaeusstraat, 2c -- still not cheap but 22% less)
> be an option?

I've never been there myself, but it looks like a reasonable option
to me.  It's a nice walk through the Oosterpark away from Hotel Arena,
where the meeting takes place.  And the tram will take you to the center
of Amsterdam in 15 minutes or so.

> What about parking options at/near the hotels and the meeting?

Generally speaking, parking is difficult and/or expensive in
Amsterdam.  But NH Tropen mentions that they have a parking.
Hotel Arena also has a parking, but I think it's only available
for people who stay there.

> - I haven't seen any information on when the dinner starts, as I'm not
>   taking part in the guided tour, when will we meet at the Brasserie
>   Harkema?

We'll post this on the mailing list in, I expect, a week or two.

> - What is the best way to get to and from the Brasserie Harkema?

Brasserie Harkema is within walking distance (5-15 minutes) from
subway stations Waterlooplein, Nieuwmarkt and Centraal Station.
Waterlooplein also has a big parking, by the way.

>   Parking seems to be a big issue in Amsterdam and driving a car is
>   incompatible to most convenient beverage...

Right.  Then again, public transport is reasonably good until
midnight or so (and taxis are rather expensive).

Arthur