Compiling a binary that uses quicklisp

Daniel Kochmański daniel at turtleware.eu
Fri Feb 10 19:36:55 UTC 2023

I think that you should not call quickload in the package file. ASDF should solve depenencies based on a sole (ql:quickload 'cl-i3).

I've tried to reproduce your issue and I've succeeded. After quick investigation it seems that the system cl-str expects that its
source code will be available to asdf at any time (even after the compilation). The offensive line is this:

cl-str-20221106-git/str.lisp:144:(defvar +version+ (asdf:component-version (asdf:find-system "str")))

Basically it is as if you were expecting that both make and linux source code are both available at startup.

If you replace this line to maintain some reasonable sanity it will look like this:
(defvar +version+ #.(asdf:component-version (asdf:find-system "str")))

Another issue with this system is that it does not declare dependencies on "uiop" and "asdf" despite using both. str.asd
should have

:depends-on (:cl-ppcre
:cl-ppcre-unicode
:cl-change-case
"asdf" "uiop")

note the last two lines. With that the following builds and runs without a hitch:

brandon.asd:
(in-package #:asdf-user)
(asdf:defsystem "brandon"
:name "brandon"
:depends-on ("str") :components ((:file "main")))

main.lisp:
(defpackage #:brandon
(:use #:cl))
(in-package #:brandon)

(defun main (str)
(format t "Hello ~a!~%" str))

build.lisp (not part of the system):
(in-package #:cl-user)

;;; Make the system recognizable by ASDF
(asdf:load-asd "brandon.asd")

;;; Pull dependencies and load macros
(asdf:load-system "brandon")

;;; Build the program (shared object)
(asdf:make-build "brandon" :type :program
:move-here "./brandon.out")

(asdf:make-build "brandon" :type :program
:monolithic t
:move-here ".")

----

note that if you don't want repl then probably you want to add (progn (main "HI") (ext:quit)) in the epilogue code.

Best regards,
Daniel

p.s if you feel like it you may make issues in cl-str repository bugtracker.

--
Daniel Kochmański ;; aka jackdaniel | Przemyśl, Poland
TurtleWare - Daniel Kochmański | www.turtleware.eu

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi