[EQL5] Slow startup

pls.153 pls.153 at protonmail.com
Tue Jan 12 17:50:37 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 1:30 PM, Erik Winkels <aerique at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> I found this post (of yours?):
> https://www.reddit.com/r/Common_Lisp/comments/hicmyt/error_with_uiop_running_ecl_application_built_by/g35fcib/
>
> Is this what you meant? Where do you use this code?

Yes, that was me. As (hopefully) everybody knows, ASDF is only intended to be used for loading/building CL libs or apps, and if some library depends on it at runtime, that's simply wrong by design; ASDF was never meant to be used like that.

In my case, some library pretended ASDF to be present, without ever really using it, but it gave runtime package errors. So I just added the above, and it worked without problems (in my specific case).

So, my question is: if you don't add ASDF as a dependency, what error messages do you get at app startup?

Another way to deal with a _real_ ASDF runtime dependency (e.g. you want Swank to be running for eventual problems) and also keeping the startup time short, would be to start up the app first, and loading ASDF (together with any lib depending on it) in a thread, while keeping the UI responsive. I've done this successfully on mobile.

Paul

P.S. I will probably try to build your app and see for myself (having the possibility now)