Is this thing on? Cross-compiling for ARM

Daniel Kochmański daniel at turtleware.eu
Wed Jan 2 14:25:53 UTC 2019

> First of all, sorry for the horrible formatting of my initial e-
> mail.  I'm using a proper mail program now.
>
> Secondly, thanks for the reply and apologies for the late reply: the
> year turnaround got in the way.

No worries, I figured that much :-).

> "Daniel Kochmański" wrote on Sunday, 2018-12-30 20:56:
> >
> > Alright, so the quick follow up:
> >
> > The problem is that you try to cross-compile ECL with an older
> > version
>
> […]
> > and all should work fine. If your toolchain doesn't have atomic_ops
> > library then build may have some problems if you need them. In that
> > case either use different flags or install said library.
>
> Hm, I did compile the same ECL for the host before making this report
> since that was mentioned in the README (or INSTALL) but it didn't
> seem to make a difference.  So I will try your above
> suggestion.  Never thought of this since I'm not very familiar with
> with the atomic_ops stuff.

but did you "make install" the host ECL, remove build/ directory,
configure for cross compilation (once), customize ECL_TO_RUN in
build/cross_config directory and run configure and make after that?
Your error really looks like your build has picked some older ECL
version (i.e from /usr/bin/ecl if you have ECL installed from the
repositories).

> As you wrote in your earlier reply about compiling on the machine
> itself: I wanted to avoid this since the Sailfish SDK offers both an
> emulator (x86) and a way to deply directly on the machine (ARM), but
> on further thought I might just go for this option.  It might
> actually make things easier instead of more difficult (which I
> initially thought).

Native compilation is always the most certain way get things working.
In any case when you succeed (or fail!) please let us know what you
did.

Best regards (and a Happy New Year!),
Daniel