[Ecls-list] How to manually invoke garbage collector?

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Sat Jul 12 12:25:13 UTC 2014

On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 14:11:31 +0200
Michal <smieciarski at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In Guile we can manually trigger garbage collector using
>     (gc)
> or
>     scm_gc()
> from Scheme or C code respectively. Is there such possibility in ECL?

(describe 'gc)

Although if I remember, it's not uncommon to need to execute it twice,
and it's been a while that I checked the actual implementation.  Also
note that it may not trigger immediate finalization code.  For implicit
immediate finalization, WITH- macros are popular in Common Lisp.
They're easy to implement based around UNWIND-PROTECT, and at the same
time prevent needing error-prone and ugly explicit finalization
everywhere.
--
Matt